Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Twilight

So, I've been reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyers. Good reads, really. If you haven't read them, I recommend them. If you are one of the 3 people in the world who haven't heard of these books yet, well, let me just warn you. They are vampire books.

Now don't go getting all I'm-a-Christian-so-why-would-I-read-vampire-books on me. They do have a redeeming quality which I will expound on in a sec.

I started reading these books mainly because my daughter was reading them and I always like to stay up on what my kids are reading. I also like science fiction, especially fantasy characters, like, well, vampires.

As I got through the 3rd book (there are 4 and the last one comes out in August), I began to realize that these books are a beautiful allegory about life, and choosing between God and the world. I'm sure the author didn't intend for her books about vampires to include a Christian allegory, but they do!

I won't ruin it for you because you need to read them yourself. I just think God is so creative to hide a picture of Himself in a sci-fi book about vampires! I mean, the audience for vampire books is not usually the audience for books like My Utmost For His Highest, right? The fact that He would choose this medium to reveal Himself to those who would otherwise ignore Him is just so like God.

Read the books. Read them. READ THEM.

God is awesome.

Can I get an "amen"?

2 comments:

Melisse said...

AMEN!

Faith said...

Everywhere I go, I keep hearing about these books! I am not a big sci-fi reader, but I may just give them a try....