Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sweatin' to the Oldies

Part of this journey includes a significant loss of weight. Back in November, I decided to (re-)join Weight Watchers. I have been successful with it in the past and since it's all about getting healthy, I decided that was what I needed to do. Losing weight is a bonus that comes with learning how to eat right.

Well, one thing they really stress is activity. Humph. Those of you who know me--really know me--know that I hate to sweat. Did I say "hate"? I mean I DESPISE sweating. Nothing about it makes me feel good. I know that exercise is an important part of being healthy and I really do want to be healthy, I just don't want to sweat. So, to get me motivated to sweat (did I mention I hate to sweat), James and I bought a family membership to our local community center. Now, this is not one of those podunk community centers where all the equipment has been passed down from other gyms that got the "new" stuff. This is not a community center that cost $50/year and is worth what you pay for. This is a "state-of-the-art" Community Center with 4 pools, a weight room, a walking/jogging track, cardio equipment and a circuit. This has 2 full basketball courts, a game room with 2 pool tables and video games for TWENTY-FIVE CENTS!! And (are you sitting down?) they have Ms. PacMan!! It's very cool. And when I say "very", I mean there is NOTHING cooler in the world. Think of the coolest thing you can...got it? It's cooler than that.

So, the girls and I went after James got home from work tonight. He had already gone this morning before work. I could have easily said I was too tired, I needed to help get the kids to bed, I should clean the kitchen, etc. BUT, I didn't. Aren't you proud to know me? I, who hate to sweat, walked 1.78 miles on the treadmill. Woo hoo. Yay me. It has been 45 minutes since I stepped off the darn thing and I'm STILL sweating. Hey, but I'm on my way to being healthier.

I've always said I'm just a skinny person trapped in a fat person's body. I've proven it, too, by getting skinny. The fat person just keeps winning. Well, not this time, Fat Person! This time Skinny Me has the upper hand. I have a MEMBERSHIP to the coolest Community Center on the planet. And I'm not afraid to use it!

No comments: